Chewable and chewable supplements have extended far beyond children’s vitamins, many with claims like “excellent source” and “potent blend of essential nutrients.” Registered Dietitian Molly Kimball explains how these candy-like supplements measure up.
Are gummy supplements worth it? Not always. Check out Collagen Gummies, for example. We would need 100 – yes, a hundred candies – in order to get the recommended daily dose of collagen.
Nordic Naturals Sugar Free Vitamin D3 Gummies
Per serving of gum: 5 calories, zero sugar
- 1000 IU of vitamin D3 (125% DV)
- Other ingredients include: Soluble tapioca fiber, pectin, citric acid, fruit and vegetable juice (color), sunflower oil, carnauba wax. Sweetened with xylitol
Nordic Naturals DHA Gummies for Kids
Per serving of gum: 10 calories, zero sugar
- 600 mg omega 3 (145 mg EPA; 355 mg DHA) | the typical adult dosage is 1000 mg of omega 3
- other ingredients include: purified deep water fish oil, gelatin, paprika extract, stevia, canola oil, sweetened with stevia, sorbitol, xylitol
Nordic Naturals Sugar Free Curcumin Gummies
Per serving of two gums: 15 calories, zero sugar
- 200 mg of curcumin extract (typical dose 500 mg)
- Other ingredients include: Prebiotic fiber, pectin, natural flavor, sunflower oil, carnauba wax
Adora Rich Dark Chocolate Calcium Supplement
- For 1 serving of disc: 30 calories, 2 grams of sugar
- 500 mg of calcium (50%), 13 mcg of vitamin D (65%)
- Other ingredients: chocolate liqueur, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla extract
I LIKE THIS
Olly the perfect multi for women
By two portions of gum
- 50-100% of most vitamins + minerals
- 250% vitamin B12; 500% biotin
- Other ingredients include: Glucose syrup, beet sugar, gelatin, fruit and vegetable juice for coloring, pectin, vegetable oil, carnauba wax
NOT VALUE, BETTER OPTIONS THERE
Natural Collagen Gummies
Per serving of gum: 5 calories, 1 gram of sugar
- 100 mg of collagen (0.1 grams; a standard dose is 10 grams)
- Other ingredients include: tapioca syrup, cane sugar, pectin, added color, natural flavor, coconut oil, carnauba wax
Digestive Advantage Daily Probiotics Kids
By two portions of gum
- Per serving: BC Bacillus Coagulans GBI-30: 500 million CFU
- Other ingredients: corn syrup, sugar, gelatin, pectin, fruit and vegetable colors
One A Day VitaCravings Teen Gummies
Per serving of two gums: 15 calories, 3 grams of sugar
- 62-83% of most vitamins + minerals.
- 8% calcium.
- 100% vitamin B12 and biotin.
- Other ingredients include: Glucose syrup, sugar, gelatin, Blue # 1, Red # 40, Yellow # 5
Viactiv milk chocolate with calcium
Per chewable portion: 15 calories, 1 gram of sugar
- 500 mg of calcium (50%) + 500 IU of vitamin D (63%) + 40 mcg of vitamin K (33%)
- Other ingredients include: Sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil, corn syrup solids, cocoa, sweetened condensed milk (milk, sugar)
Want more Molly? Click on here register for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly email newsletter with links to it Get the skinny TV segments here on WGNO and more! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and discover his weekly podcast; Just search for “Molly Kimball” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.